Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

On To The Next!

Well, I won't lie...I was really disappointed with my 5K time last weekend!  I had the training in place, the pace numbers were there in speed sessions and darn it I'm in great shape for March!  I was happy with a second place finish to a youngster that I'm old enough to be his father but still my time of 17:37 was bad...or so I thought!  Bottom line is that it was still a great race for me.

Almost everyone using a GPS watch that I talked to said the course was long as did mine.  Now, I don't think it was long enough for me to say I really ran a sub 17 5K but I think I was certainly in PR territory and may have run faster than my 17:15 from last year.  So really, I ran faster than what I though which was better than what I had initially thought.

And, the last factor of the performance is just plain being smart.  I trained hard last week.  Way too hard to be racing and expecting a PR time!  I'm not 18 years old anymore...or even 35 for that matter.  A few years ago I could do 2 speed sessions per week and recover fine.  Now, I do 1 speed session every other week because it just taxes my legs too much!  So, lesson learned...taper even for those small races to get the best performance possible!

Lastly, let's just move on to the next race!  Don't dwell on a disappointing performance.  Use it for motivation to work harder and smarter for the next event.  Believe that you will run, bike, swim, etc better next time.  Being confident is very important in running and sports in general...but keep in it check and don't let overconfidence hurt you!

Keep moving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment